Johnson & Wales University
Director of Physician Assistant Program
Academic Career & Executive Search is pleased to assist Johnson & Wales University in their search for a Director of Physician Assistant Program.
An exciting opportunity for a collaborative, energetic leader to direct the Physician Assistant Program and lead a motivated faculty who thrive under the direction of a skilled leader. The ideal candidate is committed to academic excellence, inter-professional education and the mission of Johnson & Wales University.
The Director joins an extremely well-supported, high demand program enjoying pass rates of 99%. Housed in a brand-new, state-of-the-art, 18,000 square foot building dedicated solely to the PA Program, the facilities are unsurpassed. The building has won numerous awards with features including flexible learning-style classrooms, individual faculty offices, clinical skills lab, wet lab, anatomy/cadaver lab, multiple conference rooms, community and private work/study areas, relaxation spaces, locker rooms, showers and a well-appointed kitchen area. The building, accessible 24/7, seeks to blend a harmonious work/life balance for faculty, staff and students.
The Director of the Physician Assistant Program provides strategic and operational leadership for the Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies program and is responsible for all aspects of the development, implementation and management of the program in alignment with ARC-PA and university policies and practices. The Director oversees and directs the strategic, administrative and operational elements of the program, monitors the program's effectiveness, including the outcomes assessment process, and works with faculty and staff to ensure the continued accreditation of the program.
This 12-month position reports to the Dean of the College of Health & Wellness, offers a generous benefits package and the flexibility to devote one day a week to clinical work.
Essential Job Functions
· Develops and implements a graduate education program for physician assistant students that continuously meets regional and programmatic accreditation standards and is in alignment with the university’s mission and strategic plan, in collaboration with faculty, administration and other colleges within the university
· Recruits, recommends, hires, supervises, assesses and develops qualified full- and part-time faculty to support the Physician Assistant Program
· Develops and submits applications and other relevant documents and reports to ARC-PA to facilitate accreditation and maintains continued compliance with ARC-PA standards across all elements of the program
· Leads and manages the Physician Assistant Program through program organization, administration, fiscal management, continuous review and analysis, planning, development and accreditation
· Leads the program's faculty and staff in ongoing review and development of curriculum, program goals and objectives, program self-study and evaluation, and documents review processes accordingly
· Oversees the development and application of admissions policies and processes relating to the Physician Assistant Program including participating in student recruitment activities
· Represents the Physician Assistant Program at internal university meetings as assigned, and serves as the program's representative at medical, professional and other community organizations and events
· Teaches courses in the Physician Assistant Program
· Supervises and develops the program's medical director and principal and instructional faculty and staff in activities that relate to the Physician Assistant Program, facilitating professional opportunities to improve individual capability and managing performance against job expectations, department goals and established university, campus and department policies and procedures
· Prepares and monitors departmental budget
· Supervises and manages student employees to enhance their academic and professional development
· Performs other duties as assigned
· Minimum of a master’s degree in physician assistant studies or a related medical field
· Teaching and leadership experience in a physician assistant program
· Current certification as a physician assistant (if physician assistant, must hold National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants certification) or Current certification as a physician (if physician, must be certified by an American Board of Medical Specialties- or American Osteopathic Association-approved specialty board, and meet requirements for current licensure as an allopathic or osteopathic physician in the state of Rhode Island.)
· Clinical experience (current or previous)
· ARC-PA accreditation experience
About Johnson & Wales University:
Johnson & Wales University (JWU) is a private career-oriented university with its main campus in Providence, Rhode Island. Founded as a business school in 1914, JWU currently has nearly 13,000 students enrolled across its four campuses.
The Providence Campus, the largest of the JWU campuses, enrolls over 8500 students. It is also the largest of Rhode Island’s private universities. Its campus is home to the College of Health & Wellness, College of Business, Hospitality College, College of Arts & Sciences, School of Technology, and the School of Education offering specialized master's and doctoral degree programs. It also houses the Alan Shawn Feinstein Graduate School and College of Culinary Arts.
The University is well known for its culinary arts program but was first founded as business and hospitality programs. The University is the largest food service educator in the world and one of the top three hospitality colleges.
About the PA Program:
Started in 2014 as the first PA program in Rhode Island, this year-round, 24-month program is part of the new Center for Physician Assistant Studies, situated in an 18,000 square-foot facility dedicated to the health sciences and located in Rhode Island’s medical education epicenter. The competitive program receives nearly 1000 applications each year with enrollment limited to 36 students. The first 12 months of the program are devoted to preclinical studies, and the remaining 12 months to clinical experiences in primary care and medical and surgical specialties. The program enjoys excellent clinical relationships all located within an hour of the University.
About the Area:
The area combines the exciting energy of the "creative capital” city of Providence with a relaxing New England country setting and offers many benefits including an excellent quality of life, strong school systems and lower commute times. If an urban setting is desired, the city of Providence with its colorful mix of historic and modern architecture is a mecca of restaurants and pubs, museums, galleries, theater, shopping, bars, and home to many eclectic neighborhoods. For those desiring a suburban or rural setting, the area offers numerous options within an easy 30-minute drive of the University.
US World News & Report cites the city in the top 100 "Best Places to Live” and "Best Places to Retire”. Architectural Digest calls Providence a "Best Small City ". Readers of Travel + Leisure ranked Providence as an "America’s Favorite City” and "Best City for Foodies and Night Owls”. Huffington Post dubbed it "15 Cities for Creative 20 Somethings” and "Top 7 Cities for Pizza”. Jetsetter named Providence as "Top 10 Best New Food City”. A lower than the national average crime rate and lower median home rate as compared to other major East Coast metro areas like Boston further enhance the city’s appeal.
With more than 30,000 college students living in the city, it’s also the ultimate college town. The city is diverse and welcoming. Providence has 25 official neighborhoods, many of which are a quick walk from the Downcity Campus:
- East Side: Home to Brown University and Rhode Island School of Design (RISD), as well as the unique shops and restaurants along Thayer, Hope and Wickenden streets.
- Jewelry District: This former industrial area has become the Knowledge District, the city’s medical-education corridor. It’s where you’ll find JWU’s Center for Physician Assistant Studies, Brown’s Alpert Medical School and their latest academic building, the John J. Bowen Center for Science and Innovation.
- Federal Hill: Italian markets, restaurants and bakeries line historic Atwells Avenue.
- West Side: Also known as the Armory District. Home to an eclectic group of restaurants (including alum-run spots like Nicks on Broadway, North and North Bakery), bars, coffee shops
Known as the "Ocean State,” Rhode Island has 400+ miles of coastline with 100 beaches within an easy drive of the University. Providence is extremely bike friendly with designated lanes throughout the city and a 14-mile scenic bike path. The state has 20% of the nation’s registered landmarks, most of them in Providence and Newport, known as the sailing capital of the world.
Providence is just 45 minutes from Boston, Cape Cod and Newport and a quick 3-hour trip from New York City.
To Apply: Applications will be reviewedas they are received and shouldinclude a cover letter and CV. You may apply directlyat https://acesrch.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a21esjyd9b0v.
Johnson & Wales University is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law.
Education Required:Masters Degree - MA
Employment/Position Type:Full Time
Share On :