Registered Nurse Full-Time Tenure Track Instructor
San Luis Obispo, California 93403
Registered Nurse Full-Time Tenure Track Instructor
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Job Type: Full Time
Job Number: FY2021-00061
Location: Cuesta College - San Luis Obispo Campus, CA
Department: Nursing & Allied Health
Closing: 3/10/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Job Description Summary
The Nursing and Allied Health division at Cuesta College is seeking a Full-Time Tenure Track Registered Nursing Instructor for the subject area of Psychiatric and/or Critical Care, Medical/Surgical patient care. The position requires the candidate to teach both theory and clinical courses in both Fall and Spring semesters and assume the role and responsibilities of a full-time faculty including those listed below.
Cuesta College values academic excellence and is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion among faculty, students, and staff. With our commitment to success and inclusivity Cuesta College is dedicated to providing students with an enriching learning experience to support attainment of their educational goals and careers. The successful candidate will be an equity-minded individual who collaborates with faculty staff, administration, and community partners committed to closing equity gaps.
Cuesta College seeks employees who value mentorship and are guided by a commitment to helping all students achieve their educational goals. All departments strongly encourage collaboration across disciplines to create inclusive, integrated, and interdisciplinary learning experiences. College faculty are expected to be knowledgeable about, and willing to utilize different learning and teaching methods appropriate to the students they serve.
Faculty are responsible for choosing appropriate course materials, developing a student-centered equity-minded syllabus adhering to a college-approved Course Outline of Record, outlining classroom expectations, and content to be covered as well as developing a plan for content delivery. This position requires regular communication with students throughout the semester, office hour availability, assigning grades, and referral of students to appropriate support services, as needed. Due to changes in instruction delivery, instructors will be expected to become online teaching certified, if not already certified.
Evidence of Outstanding Ability as a Nursing Instructor
Appropriate evidence for the candidate includes, but is not limited to, experience, training, or achievement:
- Commitment staying up-to-date with the latest developments in nursing and nursing education and in collaboration with industry and/or professional organizations;
- Ability to continuously reflect, evaluate, and improve teaching methods;
- Ability to organize and explain materials/instructions in ways appropriate to students' abilities and learning styles;
- Ability to engage students in their learning, promote development of clinical reasoning skills, and addresses cultural diversity in nursing practice;
- Ability to motivate students from a broad spectrum of cultural, academic, socioeconomic, and language backgrounds;
- Ability to develop student learning outcomes and methods for assessing achievement of those outcomes.
COLLEGE AND DEPARTMENTAL RESPONSIBILITIES
College or departmental responsibilities will include the following:
- Developing, participating, and/or updating program curriculum;
- Completing and submitting course assessments and evaluations;
- Serving on college committees (Participatory Governance);
- Participating and contributing to program review;
- Participating in Peer evaluations and hiring committees;
- Scheduling and working with full-time and part-time instructors in the department;
- Collaborating with classified staff and program director;
- Serve as a liaison for community healthcare organizations;
- Collegial, professional, and ethical conduct;
- Distance Education Certification (by end of Spring 2022).
Located in the heart of scenic San Luis Obispo County, Cuesta College has provided comprehensive associate degree offerings, certificates, and community programs to the region since 1964. Committed to being an inclusive institution
that inspires a diverse student population to achieve their educational goals, we are proud to be designated as an Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) by the U.S. Department of Education. Cuesta College is committed to racial and socioeconomic diversity that reflects our student population; we strive to hire candidates that share the value of commitment to diversity and inclusion. As part of the Cuesta College team, you can expect to be part of a collaborative community of faculty, classified staff, administrators, students, and community partners advancing educational excellence with intentional support services leading to student success and completion.
Additional information about the college can be found at: https://www.cuesta.edu/about/index.html
The college planning documents can be found at: https://www.cuesta.edu/about/collegeplans/index
Our Student Equity Action Plan can be found at: https://www.cuesta.edu/about/info/equity/index
We offer comprehensive benefit options. Information about benefits can be found at: https://www.cuesta.edu/about/depts/benefits-insurance/index.html
Essential Functions & Qualifications
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & QUALIFICATIONS:
-Master's degree in nursing
-Bachelor's degree in nursing from an accredited institution;
-Master's degree in health education or health science from an accredited institution;
- The equivalent (candidates making application on the basis of equivalency must submit all materials requested for an equivalency judgment, indicated on the Equivalency Process link listed in Additional Information);
-The minimum qualifications as set by the Board of Registered Nursing (1-3 listed below):
(1) A master's or higher degree from an accredited college or university which includes course work in nursing, education or administration;(2) Direct patient care experience within the previous five (5) years in the nursing area to which he or she is assigned, which can be met by:(A) One (1) year's continuous, full-time or its equivalent experience providing direct patient care as a registered nurse in the designated nursing area;OR(B) One (1) academic year of registered nurse level clinical teaching experience in the designated nursing area or its equivalent that demonstrates clinical competency; and(3) Completion of at least one (1) year's experience teaching courses related to registered nursing or completion of a post-baccalaureate course which includes practice in teaching registered nursing;(4) In addition to California Code of Regulations (CCR) Section 1425, all faculty must meet CCR section 1424(h), which states nursing faculty members whose teaching responsibilities include subject matter directly related to the practice of nursing shall be clinically competent in the areas to which they are assigned and Section 1420(d), which defines clinically competent to mean that a nursing program faculty member possesses and exercises the degree of learning, skill, care and experience ordinarily possessed and exercised by staff level registered nurses of the clinical unit to which the faculty member is assigned.
-Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
-Direct patient care experience within the previous five years in the nursing area, which can be met by one of the criteria below:
- One year's continuous, full-time experience providing direct patient care as a registered nurse in a psychiatric nursing setting or;
- One year's continuous, full-time experience providing direct patient care as a registered nurse in medical/surgical, step-down unit, critical care, or emergency department or;
- One academic year of registered nurse clinical teaching experience in the designated nursing area or its equivalent demonstrating clinical competency;
-Awareness of the philosophy and objectives of California Community Colleges.
Required Documents to apply:
Candidates will be required to submit a cover letter, resume, reference list, teaching philosophy statement, diversity statement, and unofficial transcripts when applying for this position. See further instructions below on the required documents to apply. When uploading documents, PDF uploads are preferred.
Reference List Instructions: Your reference list must include three professional references, their contact information, and their relationship to you.
Teaching Philosophy Statement Instructions: A teaching philosophy statement is where applicants convey their teaching values, beliefs and/or goals. It could include your teaching methods, what you want to achieve with your students, what motivates you as a teacher, and the purpose of education.
Diversity Statement Instructions: Cuesta College is committed to building and maintaining a workforce that reflects and honors the diversity of our students. It is important to us that our faculty, staff, and administrators demonstrate an understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socioeconomic, ethnic, and religious backgrounds as well as sexual orientation and abilities of all constituents in the Cuesta College community. In 500 words or less, with consideration to our Mission Statement and our values expressed above, please explain how you have addressed diversity, equity, and inclusion with people in your work and how would you consider equity-mindedness with students in your role as an instructor?
Equivalency: If you do not meet the minimum qualifications for the position please include an equivalency argument. For directions on what is an acceptable equivalency argument please review the requirements listed on the following link: https://www.cuesta.edu/about/documents/hr_docs/Equivalency_Info.pdf (Download PDF reader)
Completed online applications and all supporting documents must be submitted by the closing date for this position. LATE, INCOMPLETE, FAXED, MAILED OR EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Cuesta College will not sponsor any visa applications.
San Luis Obispo County Community College District ("Cuesta College") is an equal opportunity employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), age, disability (physical and mental), genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal and state law in admission and access to, or treatment in employment, educational programs or activities at any of its campuses. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Cuesta College also prohibits harassment on any of these bases, including sexual harassment, as well as sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking.
In compliance with California law, all prospective staff and students are entitled to read the Annual Security Report, published each October by the Cuesta College Department of Public Safety. This report contains information about our emergency and crime reporting procedures, as well as crime statistics for the past 3 years. You may request a copy of this report at one of our two Public Safety Offices: on SLO campus at Building 6600A or on North County Campus at building N1021, during campus business hours. You may also access the complete text of this report at the following website address: https://www.cuesta.edu/about/depts/publicsafety/clery_act
Interview Process Information
Selected applicants will be asked to interview for a full-time tenure track position as a Registered Nurse instructor in the Allied Health Division on Friday, April 2, 2021.
Second interviews will be held on Friday, April 16, 2021.
The selected applicant will begin their full-time teaching assignment in the 2021-2022 school year which begins on August 10, 2021.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cuesta
The San Luis Obispo County Community College District promotes inclusiveness, prohibits discrimination, and encourages all qualified persons to apply. As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, Cuesta College actively seeks candidates with diverse backgrounds to assist students, staff, and faculty. For ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) assistance with the application and/or interview process, please contact the Human Resources Office: (805) 546-3129.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Education Required:Masters Degree - MS
Employment/Position Type:Full Time
Date Posted : 01/26/2021
Share On :